|History of Wymore|
In the beginning...at the crossroads of section lines five miles south of Wymore is Bethel Cemetery where the Bethel Welsh Church built in 1879 stood until 1960. This church became a hub for Welsh immigrants that made the area their home. It reminded the immigrants of their homeland with the rolling hills and the Blue River. The settlement was located on both sides of Highway 77, joining on the east the Otoe Indian reservation; on the north by Blue Springs and extended three miles both south and west.
Wymore began its history on May 21, 1881, the date when the plat was recorded at the Gage County Courthouse. It was the production of the Burlington and Missouri Railroad for the purpose of building a cross-country line between Kansas City, Missouri and Denver, Colorado. They needed a junction center in Southern Nebraska so they could connect the Lincoln-Beatrice line with the new one. The difficulty was in finding the needed land.
Sam Wymore, a pioneer farmer who owned a large section of land, knew about the project. He offered the Company his land if they would start a town and name it Wymore. As this land was just south of Blue Springs where the B&M Company was trying to get a location, they accepted the proposition at once. In very few weeks, the town of Wymore was born. The B&M Company soon had a depot, round house, lunch room, machine shops, and many railroad tracks that were built in all directions.
The town of Wymore grew fast, as so many men came to work on the railroad. They needed places to live, eat and enjoy life. Homes, business houses, churches, schools and other necessary places for a community to grow appeared if by magic. During the first sixty days many such places were started and finished. At the end of the first nine months, the population of Wymore reached 1,700. In less than two years it had reached 2,000. Today, the population is 1,656.
Wymore has a unique location in regards to Blue Springs, Nebraska. They are one mile apart with Bill's Creek being the boundary line. Locally, we refer to the two communities as the "twin cities of southeast Nebraska". It has taken many generations to build a working relationship. The two communities realize that what affects one, affects another.
The area provides retail services with a few small manufacturing firms. Wymore, along with Blue Springs, is considered mainly a bedroom community. A fresh commitment has begun to make Wymore and the surrounding area a place of pride with a safe and healthy environment for citizens of all ages. Positive accomplishments are on the rise. Revitalization can be seen throughout our school system, in the strong commitment of local government, by the business sector actively working to attract new business and sustain existing business, in a strong church foundation and by citizens volunteering to make Wymore's quality of life a good one.
Many live here because of the small town environment. A window of opportunity faces the Southeast Nebraska area through economic growth in the region. The citizens of Wymore and Blue Springs look ahead with promise and commitment to save our communities.
|History of Blue Springs|
Blue Springs was named for the springs, which drew the Indians here as well as the white people later. They were thought to have medicinal value by the Indians, and they furnished a plentiful supply of purest water year round.
Recent excavations disclosed the remains of a Pawnee Indian Village of about five hundred population located just north of the Blue Springs Cemetery. These Indians lived there are six hundred years ago. Much later, the Otoe Indians and their friends, the Missouris, came to Nebraska from farther east.
Blue Springs had its beginning in the summer of 1857. In 1859, Ruel Noyes and John Chambers, two miners returning from Pike's Peak, came and seeing possibilities to make an attractive frontier town borrowed money to have the area surveyed. In 1862, Robert Wilson had the town platted and recorded which gave him the opportunity to give clear title to the lots.
By 1880, Blue Springs had become a bustling town with the surrounding towns not yet built and in 1890 the population was 963. Until 1894, Blue Springs had been a village but when the population went over 1,000 it became a second class city with a mayor and council as it remains today.
Blue Springs population faltered some because of the main railroad activities moving across the tracks to Wymore. As in all small rural towns where agriculture is the main industry they are working hard at keeping Blue Springs a wonderful place to live.
Blue Springs government has taken a very proactive role in cleaning up the community, developing new housing, sustaining and attracting business and undergoing a comprehensive plan that will provide Blue Springs direction with a ten-year plan. The Blue Springs City Park got a facelift with new playground equipment this last year. The city was also fortunate to receive a Community Development Block Grant in the amount of $234,000 to pave 25 blocks. This is an exciting time for the area.
Blue Springs and Wymore individual activities affect one another since we are one mile apart. The two communities are committed and working together to revitalize our area and enhance the quality of life.